Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Barn Burning

This story really REALLY confused me. I had issues with all the "he's" at first - I had no idea who was talking about what. THEN I got confused every time the author said "he would have thought this... if he was older". Once again, I think I missed the deeper meaning to this story. Obvioulsy the father has issues (post-stress disorder?), but I'm trying to understand what the boy comes out with in this story. His battle of family versus justice ultimately leads him to warn the guy that his burn is going to burn down. Does this mean that in the end, to serve justice you have to lose whats important?

Something else I noticed about this story was the lack of an innocent party. Obviously the father wasn't amazing for burning down a barn, but the rich man is not portrayed as a nice person either.

No comments: