Monday, May 5, 2008

Pantoum for Chinese Women

I tried to do some research on this poem, only to find that there really isn't that much information about it online.

I did, however, find that Shirley Geok-lin Lim is a Chinese Malaysian woman, born in Malaysia in 1944. She earned a BA in English at the University of Malaya, then, at age 24, came to America to study at Brandeis University on a Fulbright scholarship. After earning her PhD in English and American Literature in 1973, Lim taught at several universities in Asia, including the University of Hong Kong, where she was a Chair Professor of the English department. Lim is now a professor at UC Santa Barbara.

Lim was born to a peranakan mother (a member of the community of assimilated, Malay-speaking Chinese who had lived in the Malay peninsula since the 16th century) and a Hokkien father. As a young child, Lim witnessed the hostility directed toward her mother and other peranakans. The British-declared State of Emergency against the Malayan Chinese Communist insurgents that forced ethnic Chinese to carry identity cards, her experience as an ethnic Chinese in the newly independent (since 1957) state of Malaya, and the May 1969 anti-Chinese riots all profoundly affected Lim. Because of these events and experiences, much of Lim's writing examines her cultural heritage and ethnic identity, while maintaining a strong feminist consciousness.

When looking for information on her poem "Pantoum for Chinese Women," I found the following quote, which is meant to accompany the reading of this poem:

"At present, the phenomena of butchering, drowning, and leaving to die female infants have been very serious."
(The People's Daily, Peking, March 3rd, 1983)

4 comments:

Elizabeth Johnson said...

I really, really don't understand this poem. Anisha's quote did help me understand the overall theme of this poem, it is a mourning for all the Chinese women who had to kill their babies, but I just don't see that in the text. I keep getting confused by the repeated lines; since they are in a different context every time, I cannot quite figure out how they go together. Some of the lines that I really do not understand:

"In the slippery wet, a hollow space,/A slit narrowly sheathed within its hood."
What space? What does "slit" refer to? The mouth?

"We have saved the ashes for a hundred days./Knowing, if the time came, that we would."
The second half of this line is not even a complete sentence!

"She will not pluck the rooster nor serve its blood,/For broken clay is never set in glaze:/Women are made of river sand and wood."
??

Actually, explaining the poem as a whole would be brilliant!




Breakthrough! I actually understand the last stanza...finally...

Anisha said...

So I Googled "Pantoum for Chinese Women", and guess what the third link down was? Our blog. Kelsie and Liz are right - there's almost nothing on this poem, and it's really hard to understand.

I don't understand why it's saying "two mouths"? Does that mean a girl-child? And what makes a girl have two mouths?

I'm a little confused on your information, Kelsie. Do the English-Chinese relations have anything to do with the poem specifically, or just background information? I don't see anything about Chinese oppression in here, but maybe I'm missing something completely.
Someone please explain.

Albert said...

I'm pretty sure the "child with two mouths" refers to the fact that the child is female and I think that they are preparing to kill the baby.

I'm not quite sure what the ash refers to...

but yeah, that's all i got.

Theresa said...

I have to agree that two mouths means a female child. (Anisha: two mouths=two moist hollow places).

I read that when a Chinese baby was one month old, the family threw a party with dyed red eggs in honor of a naming ceremony. This might be where the rooster plucking comes in. Because the girl is killed, no rooster will be served.

After delivery, the woman is supposed to sit in her bed with her infant for a month. In strict households, men are not even allowed in the bedroom. The line about the man not being in his place could refer to this.

I got info on Chinese birth customs from here. http://www.babyzone.com/babynames/china.asp

Otherwise, I really don't get it. I can't find anything about a dragon jar of soot, or saving ashes. Tomorrow should be fun.