Monday, December 10, 2007

Sonnets and Such

Hey guys,
I found this site for the basic explanation of what a sonnet was, and I thought it might be useful. http://www.writing.upenn.edu/~afilreis/88/sonnet.html

So since I'm the first one to post (Because... I'm cool), I'm going to take claim to my sonetts, if that's okay?

My Italian Sonnet will is going to be by Edna St. Vincent Millay. It is Sonnet XLIII from Collected Poems. It begins with the line, "What lips my lips have kissed....".

My English/Shakespearian one is Sonnet 78 by Skakespeare, staring with the line, "So oft have I invoked thee for my Muse"

Just a note about that... I was trying to find a English sonnet that was not Shakespeare, and I could not find one that held to the pattern abab cdcd efef gg. There were others with altered patterns, but I'm not really sure if they still qualify for English sonnets, or if these have other names, so I'm going to stick to Ol' Shakespeare.

My Spenserian sonnet is by (surpise) Edmund Spenser. It's Sonnet 75 from Amoretti and the first line is "One day I wrote her name upon the strand" (Why did I think it was sand for some reason?)

So... who's going for poetry tomorrow (Not Fatima)

PS: Did you know the word "sonnet" means "little song"?

1 comment:

Fatima said...

Fatty gets Shakespearean sonnet 116!