Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Heraldric Sightings

So I thought I would start a post on our random heraldric sightings...


Today I was looking around for signs of heraldry and found it on the grille of my own car, a Volvo.
As you can see, the grille is divided Per Bend Sinister, signifying defense or protection. I believe that the Volvo company chose this particular design to imply that the company makes safe, durable, strong cars. Also, the charge in the center is the "male" symbol. This could again signify the strength of the brand.
Also while searching, I came across a useful website that explains the meanings of charges and has good example coats of arms.
While on this site I came across what is probably my favorite family motto: Ut apes, geometriam --"As bees, geometry (the Petty family)." I have absolutely no idea what this means, but I like it.
Keep your eyes open for those heraldric elements!

No comments: