Sunday, October 21, 2007

Interesting Idea

While doing a little research on Rhinoceros, I came across interesting.

In the first scene, the logician tried to explain a syllogism to the Old Gentleman. I looked up the word "syllogism" online to double check the definition, and found that it means reasoning in which a conclusion is derived from two premises. For whatever reason, this stuck a chord.

I remember reading, years ago, that Hitler used this technique to persuade the Germans to elect him leader. He made one statement which was completely true, one statement which was a half-truth, half-lie, and one conclusive statement that was completely untrue. Linked together, people would see this as logic. I think the example was something like this:

1. The German economy has suffered greatly after World War I (True)

2. This is the fault of outside forces and outsiders who hurt Germany (Half true depending on how you look at it... Versailles Treaty, etc)

3. Therefore, Jews are the reason that Germany is suffereing (lie)

I don't think this was the exact statement. It made a little more sense and linked better than that. Either way, I think I got the basic point across. I just thought it was an interesting WWII/Nazi parallel.

2 comments:

L Lazarow said...

I think that was a really interesting way of looking at this. It just shows how people use simple techniques and knowledge to manipulate people. They understand the power of knowledge and therefore use it to their own advantage. This also tells us more about human nature in general. At least one aspect of it. You might think you're knowledgeable but another person might just defeat you and control you (your thinking) by that single extra string of knowledge that they have and you don't.

L Lazarow said...

ugh..I still don't know how to use this thing! That was Fatima.