Sunday, January 6, 2008

Fun Game! And by that I mean not.

Hi guys,
I woke up this morning with a brilliant (not) idea. Can we analyze one piece of poetry together before the quiz tomorrow? Basically, can we practice and see the different ways each of us analyze a piece of poetry?
If anyone thinks this is a stupid idea... sorry :( But I thought practice was always good.

I went on a Shakespearean sonnet site (http://poetry.eserver.org/sonnets/) and randomly clicked on the a link, so here's the poem I'm proposing we analyze. I'll analyze too (or maybe I'll be the only one), when I'm a little more awake.

Sonnet 153
Cupid laid by his brand and fell asleep,
A maid of Dian's this advantage found,
And his love-kindling fire did quickly steep
In a cold valley-fountain of that ground:
Which borrowed from this holy fire of Love,
A dateless lively heat still to endure,
And grew a seeting bath which yet men prove,
Against strange maladies a sovereign cure:
But at my mistress' eye Love's brand new-fired,
The boy for trial needs would touch my breast,
I sick withal the help of bath desired,
And thither hied a sad distempered guest.
But found no cure, the bath for my help lies,
Where Cupid got new fire; my mistress' eyes.

1 comment:

Anisha said...

Fine.
No one post.

Anyway, I just wanted to post an interesting site.
http://www.shakespeare-online.com/sonnets/
Some include "translations", which are interesting to look at (though I don't understand or agree with some of them), and interesting analysis.